Are you applying for a scholarship? If so, then you likely already know that writing the perfect motivational letter is essential for getting the attention of the selection committee. Not only does a well-crafted motivational letter show your enthusiasm for the opportunity, but it also gives you a chance to stand out from other applicants and demonstrate why you’re the best candidate. Writing an effective motivational letter can seem like a daunting task, but don’t worry—we’ve got some tips to help make it easier!
What is a Motivation Letter?
A motivation letter (also sometimes referred to as a personal statement or statement of purpose) is essentially an essay that explains why you are applying for a particular program or scholarship. It should be tailored specifically to each program and institution that you’re applying to so that your unique strengths and experiences shine through.
The ‘Must Haves’ in Your Letter
Once it’s time to actually write your motivational letter there are certain elements that should always be included in order for it to make an impactful statement. The most important things to include in your motivation letter are:
• A brief introduction
• Your academic achievements (and any other relevant accomplishments)
• Your career aspirations and how this scholarship will help you reach them • An explanation of why this particular scholarship is meaningful to you • A closing statement expressing gratitude for being considered Once these components are included in your letter, it’s time to add the finishing touches!
How Should I Structure my Motivational Letter?
Your motivation letter should typically include three main sections: introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction should explain why you’re interested in the opportunity and briefly outline your qualifications; the body should provide more detail about your qualifications (e.g., work experience, awards/honors, etc.) as well as how they make you an ideal candidate; and the conclusion should summarize your main points and express your enthusiasm for being considered.
What Types of Information Should I Include?
When writing your motivation letter, it’s important to include all relevant information about yourself—your skills, experiences, accomplishments, etc.—so that selection committees can get an accurate picture of who you are. You should also be sure to mention any challenges or obstacles that you have faced in pursuit of your goals as this can help strengthen your application by demonstrating resilience and perseverance in difficult times.
To write the perfect scholarship motivational letter, follow these tips:
- Start by introducing yourself and explaining why you are applying for the scholarship. This is your chance to make a strong first impression and demonstrate your passion for the scholarship opportunity.
- Next, highlight your strengths and accomplishments. This could include academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and any relevant work experience.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for the scholarship. This is your chance to show how you meet the criteria for the scholarship and how you will make the most of the opportunity. Don’t forget to explain what this scholarship opportunity would mean to you personally—this will help set you apart from other applicants by showing how passionate and committed you are!
- Be specific and use concrete examples to illustrate your points. For example, if you are discussing your leadership skills, provide specific examples of times when you have demonstrated leadership in your academic or personal life.
- Use a strong and confident tone, but avoid being arrogant. It is important to show enthusiasm and passion for the scholarship opportunity, but it is also important to remain humble and respectful.
- Edit and proofread your letter carefully. A well-written and error-free letter will demonstrate your attention to detail and your ability to communicate effectively.
Examples of a well-written scholarship motivational letter:
Dear Scholarship Committee,
I’m writing to apply for the [ XYZ Aspiring Entrepreneurs ] Scholarship. As a current XYZ University business student, I am very interested in pursuing a career as an entrepreneur.
Throughout my academic career, I have consistently ranked in the top 10% of my class in my business courses. Aside from my academic achievements, I’ve also been involved in extracurricular activities like the entrepreneurship club and the business case competition team. These experiences have enabled me to gain valuable skills and knowledge that I believe will aid me in my future career success.
Because of my strong academic performance and passion for entrepreneurship, I am confident that I am the best candidate for this scholarship. I believe that being awarded this scholarship will not only benefit me financially but will also provide me with invaluable opportunities to network with successful entrepreneurs and gain valuable industry experience.
I appreciate the opportunity to apply for the [ XYZ Scholarship ] and am excited about the potential impact it could have on my future career. Thank you for taking the time to consider my application.
Here is another example of a well-written scholarship motivational letter:
Dear Scholarship Committee,
I am writing to apply for the XYZ Scholarship. I am an undergraduate student currently pursuing a degree in Accounting at ABC University.
I have always aspired to pursue a career in accounting and to further my education in this field. I have a passion for helping people and believe that a career in accounting will provide me with the opportunity to make a positive impact on individuals, companies, and the community.
I understand the importance of education in order to become a successful accountant and am confident that the XYZ Scholarship will help me reach my goals. I am a hard-working student who has been on the Dean’s List for the last three semesters and has consistently received A’s in my courses. I am also involved in several extra-curricular activities and volunteer work.
If selected, I will use my education to benefit the community and give back to those who are less fortunate. I am confident that I will be a great asset to your organization and will make the most of this opportunity.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. I look forward to hearing from you.
Here is another example of a well-written scholarship motivational letter a nursing student:
Dear Scholarship Committee,
I am humbly writing to you to apply for the nursing scholarship that you are offering. It is my sincere hope that my letter will be sufficient enough to show my commitment to the nursing profession and my desire to pursue my studies.
I have been passionate about the field of nursing since I was a child. I have always been fascinated by the idea of helping people and making a difference in the lives of others. It was the main reason why I decided to pursue nursing as a career. I was motivated to make a difference in the lives of others and to help them get the care they need.
I have worked hard to excel in my studies. I have maintained a high-grade point average throughout my academic career and have received excellent feedback from my teachers. I have also taken part in various nursing internships and clinical rotations to gain practical experience in the field.
I am confident that I have the dedication and commitment to excel in my studies and to become a successful nurse. I am looking forward to the challenge of a nursing career and hope that I will be able to make a difference in the lives of my patients.
The scholarship will help me to achieve my dream of becoming a nurse. It would enable me to focus more on my studies and take part in more clinical rotations, which will help me to gain more experience and knowledge.
I am grateful for the opportunity that you are giving me and I am sure to make the most of it.
Writing a winning scholarship motivational letter template takes planning, research, and dedication—but when done correctly, it can pay off in big ways! Remember to start off strong with something personal, detail what makes you qualified, and close out by summarizing how much this scholarship would mean specifically for YOU.
Read more about How to write a Motivation Letter for University
I hope these suggestions and examples assist you in writing the ideal scholarship motivational letter. Best wishes with your application!